St Vincent’s Campus, which comprises St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney, St Vincent’s Private Hospital Sydney and St Vincent’s Clinic, enjoys an international reputation for its heart surgery, particularly for its heart and lung transplant program and for pioneering new ways of treating complex heart disease.
The St Vincent’s Campus’ Cardiothoracic Surgical Unit has been established since the early 1960s. We carry out 1000 procedures a year and consistently achieve outcomes superior to international guidelines. We pioneered minimally invasive valve surgery and have become a leading centre for trialing new devices. The Campus’s team of cardiothoracic surgeons have brought their skills to the clinic and a full range of adult cardiac surgery is available on campus.
Services provided by the department consist of:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery including beating heart surgery
- All types of valve surgery ,especially the repair of the mitral valve (minimally invasive techniques are used for valve surgery)
- Complex aortic surgery
- A leading international unit for the management of heart failure
- A leading international unit in artificial heart surgery
- All types of thoracic surgery including: video assisted thoracic surgery, all cancer surgery and specifically complex mediastinal tumour surgery
- A partnership with interventional cardiologists carrying out mitral and aortic valve repair and replacement
We carried out the first heart transplant in Australia and subsequently established the first ongoing heart and lung transplant program in Australia. The first mechanical heart assist implantations were carried out at St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney.
We now have an international reputation for heart and lung transplantation, mechanical assistance of the heart and pioneering new technologies in the management of heart disease.
Our department also pioneered the first minimally invasive surgery for mitral valve, aortic valve and coronary artery bypass in Australia. Since then, we’ve developed one of the largest minimally invasive valve programs in Australia.
St Vincent's Heart Health website
For more information on cardiothoracic surgery visit the St Vincent's Heart Health website.