If your doctor has booked you in for a procedure at St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney you may be wondering what happens next and when. Below is an outline of what you can expect.
- Your doctor will send a request for an admission form from the Admissions Department of St Vincent’s.
- You’ll be placed on your doctor’s waiting list. Both you and your GP will receive a letter to inform that you have been placed on the waiting list.
- Your doctor or their medical team will advise the Admission Department of a date for your procedure. The date of your procedure will be determined by the urgency code that your doctor assigns to your case. This will normally be either within 30 days, 90 days or 12 months
- The Admission Department will phone you and send you a letter to confirm the date of your admission. The letter will contain instructions with a telephone number to call and confirm your ability and for any other queries that you may have. The letter will also give you instructions regarding the location of your procedure.
- You may be required to attend the Pre-Admission Clinic for some tests and an anaesthetic review to ensure you are fit for your operation. This is also an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about your procedure and to plan your discharge after your admission.
- Call the hospital on 02 8382 2398 after 3 pm the day before your scheduled admission to confirm your procedure as per the letter that you received to inform you about your admission.
Admission on the day of your procedure
If your procedure requires you to stay in hospital overnight, you will normally be admitted via the Day Procedure Centre on Level 5 on the morning of your operation. You will be allocated a bed and moved to the ward from the recovery area.
Admission the day before your procedure
If your doctor requires you to be admitted to hospital the day before your procedure or as a medical patient, you will receive a phone call advising you of the time to come to the hospital. You will need to present to the Front Reception desk of the hospital with your Medicare card and you will be admitted to the ward.
Due to the unexpected demands placed on the hospital, there may be a need to reschedule your admission. However, St Vincent’s will make every effort to make sure you are admitted on the planned date.
St Vincent’s endeavours to provide a quality service to all patients. If you have any questions regarding the admission process please contact the Admission Department on 02 8382 3000.